Optometric Tech and Vision Outreach
Hourly wages Job Type: Full Time
Hybrid (remote and in-person)
Pay Range: $16 - $20 depending on experience
Organization's Mission: Friends for Sight is a nonprofit organization committed to preventing blindness and improving sight for individuals in Utah and the Intermountain West. We provide free vision screenings, prescription eyeglasses, and other sight-saving services to individuals who otherwise would not have access to them.
Position Summary: Friends for Sight is seeking a Vision Technician to join our team. The ideal candidate will be fluent in Spanish and English, be willing to learn how to perform and record pre-exams and assist the eye doctor in our vision clinics. In this role, you will report to the Executive Director, work closely with the Vision Outreach Director and Program Director, support our clinics and outreach events, coordinate with schools and schedule patients at clinic, and support our efforts to expand vision services to under-resourced areas of Utah.
- Perform a variety of duties within vision clinic and office including but not limited to assessing patient applications and eligibility, triaging, scheduling appointments, and coordinating with community partners, school districts, etc.
- Conduct preliminary ocular testing including all pretests such as but not limited to: lensometry, autorefraction, tonometry, topography, OCT and visual fields;
- Maintain accurate documentation of patient care, condition, concerns and medical history;
- Assist patients with eyeglass frame styling, measurements, adjusting and small repairs;
- Travel to partner locations, clinics, and events locally and across various areas of the State;
- Assist with the planning and implementation of SightFest events;
- Support Friends for Sights efforts to establish relationships with rural Utah communities to expand access to vision services;
- Provide interpretation services for Spanish-speaking patients when possible (We also have interpretation services; Collaborate with staff to develop and implement program goals, strategies, and metrics
Desired Qualifications: Applicants fluent in Spanish and English are preferred; Experience working with underserved populations and communities preferred; Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; Ability to work independently and as part of a team; Proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience working with electronic medical records OR willingness to learn.
Benefits / Why Work With Us: Join our team and make a difference in the lives of individuals in need of vision services. Friends for Sight offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, holiday pay, health insurance, and a Roth IRA match up to 3% of pay.
How to Apply: Email resume to Executive Director, Jamie Justice with a brief statement about why you're interested in the position.
Location: (Main Location) 6715 South 1300 East Suite 250, Salt Lake City, Utah
Organization Website: Visit website Contact: Jamie Justice Email: